Monday, April 21, 2014

Focus on the Strengths of Others

FAMILIA!!!!
 
Look i still got my spanish :) haha jk
 
Well another week down! Honestly probably the fastest week of my mission!! It went soooo fast and yet was still a BLAST!
I want to thank all of you for everything! Really the emails weekly and the love and support you show me in all things. At times that is what motivates and inspires me is just knowing that your there praying for me and thinking of me!! So thank you!
 
As far as the school goes. I will have to talk with president anderson! I didn't know i would have to go home that early. President already knows i am needing to go early but i don't think he or I ever anticipated a half a transfer. All honesty though i don't think it will be a big deal! I will talk with him and we'll be golden :) Also the test? We did get it. It's here at the office. I'm just deciding on when i should take it. I'm not really nervous about it it's just finding time to do it. Last week for pday we had to take a sister to the airport so we didn't have time to do anything. So that leads me to unpacking and doing all the cleaning and stuff around the apartment today, BUT if i have to take a test?? when can i do the other things? haha it's soooo busy but yet i love it!! I may wait a week though and take the test next week. It sounds like that wouldn't be too big a deal. Especially if i can just do it again when i get home. I will get it in asap though i promise. 
Now that all the housekeeping business is taken care of we can talk about the week right :) haha YESSSS sooo it was amazing! This past week was another week of firsts for me as an assistant. Really though one thing that i learned from it all is that happiness occurs when i look at myself as just another junior companion missionary. By that i mean i treat others as though their assistants. I act as though i'm another silly missionary. I really just try to focus on each amazing strength and gift each missionary has been given. Its amazing to go to meetings and just be around other missionaries. They automatically look up to me and want to learn and listen to me just because i'm an assistant. It's crazy. At the same time though I personally have seen the pride and the "im greater then you" attitude that can come from it! Whether i've seen it in myself or other Assistants in the past... SOOOO that was something i learned VERY VERY fast as an Assistant! haha idk if any of that makes sense to you but it's true!! I love learning things like this! Things that i never thought i was bad at but yet things that I can ALWAYS improve in :) 
So a first this past week was Specialized Training! On thursday we were with the north half of the mission and on friday we were with the south half of the mission!! I had the opportunity to conduct these trainings! I was able to welcome everybody and then introdue president and sister anderson! It was a blast. I loved being with all the other missionaries! One topic that we discussed at the training was the TEMPLE :) i'm sure all of you have had questions about what we will be doing at the temple! Well you ready for anwsers?? haha okay sooo the Sister missionaries in the mission will be working at the temple. They will be like tour guides and different things. Really just there to anwser questions that people have. So all the sister missionaries in our entire mission will participate in that! Then all the Elders can go to the open house as many times as they want BUT it has to be with an investigator!! SO my companions and I have planned to be able to take investigators there weekly! We want to go into that temple ourselves but also we want our investigators to feel of that spirit thats there in the temple :)
Also something else about the temple that the ENTIRE mission will participate in, is that we will ALL be singing at the cultural even the night before the dedication!! President Monson will be there and we are sooooo excited about it! We will get to watch the entire cultural even but then for the closing song, We will all be singing and then as we sing the 3rd verse.. ALL of us missionaries are going to march down the bleachers and we will march in front of everybody and stand right in front of the prophet and sing as loud as we can! What a better way to end right?? HASTENING THE WORK OF SALVATION haha we are sooo excited. Every single missionary is getting pumped for it!
 
Other amazing stories that have happened this past week is the joy and happiness that comes from spending time with other missionaries~! One experience specifically i would like to tell yall about is the exchange that I had with Elder Peterson (a zone leader- he was with me in riverside you may remember him) Anyways. So we were going to visit somebody and we got a random phone call from some dude that these elders blessed a few days earlier. This dude sounded like he was struggling a bit and he sounded as though he really needed some help. So Elder Peterson and I counseled about what to do. If we visited our planned appointment or if we should visit the man that is in desperate need. Well after praying we felt as though we should go see this struggling man. We went and got to know him really well. Turns out he was going through so many different afflictions rightn now in his life. Whether it was with his family or work,etc.. As we were teaching him i had the impression to read mosiah 24 with him about how Jesus Christ visited people in their afflictions and he told them to lift up their heads and be of good comfort. As this man Freddy read these words he smirked up as if he received a plate of joy into his heart. He began smiling and he said "Christ is there" we then pointed out to Freddy that Christ was there for them ALWAYS after they had made the covenant with him. The covenant to follow him. We then likened that scripture to baptism and told him that covenant was BAPTISM. As he cried he said... "that is what i need." We then invited him to be baptized and sure enough he is now preparing!!!! :)
 
What a miracle it was!!!! It wasn't anything i did. It was all god. It was God helping Elder Peterson and I learn from each other but at the same time help a lost soul in need. I love being able to help those in need and really being able to learn from these amazing missionaries in the FFLM :) I love you all and hope god will tell you to LIFT UP YOUR HEADS AND BE OF GOOD COMFORT as well!!! He is there for all of us! Love you family
 
Elder Ovard

No comments:

Post a Comment